Monday, September 17, 2007

Layers of Nutrition

Well, I continue making discoveries about nutrition much like the layers of a purple onion. I am shopping for groceries very differently than in my youth. Earlier in life it just had to taste good and be affordable. Now, I want certain nutrition too. I may shop to prevent or help a particular health issue like increasing my fiber content. I may shop to incorporate more live foods with vitality and less processed or devitalized ones. Foods with more calcium. There are so many things to consider. A food choice may be a better buy because it is organic or is free range. Shopping without buying at all the stuff that is zero nutrition and probably harmful.

Also I prepare things very differently than my younger years. Then, I just wanted to re-create something that I loved. Now, I want to give a recipe an added nutritional boost either altering the ingredients or altering the preparation.

How about you? Let's start talking!

1 comment:

Elin said...

So true Sandy! I want all of the above though - taste, health and no processed foods. The hardest one is keeping the taste with more fiber and calcium.